GIODN Official Blog
COMPETENCIES TO DEVELOP IN THE FIELD OF OD
- July 2, 2017
- Posted by: Dr. Cindy Banyai
- Category: Thoughts
Many OD Practitioners help senior leaders develop competency models, but what competencies should those in the field of OD develop?
Here’s a list we think you should consider:
- Client Relationship Building – Recognizes the importance of building long-term relationships and looks for opportunities to cultivate new relationships.
- Business Development / Marketing – Networking, Engages with other OD Communities and Professionals, Continues Ongoing Professional Development in the field of OD.
- Knowledge of the Business, Industry & Organization – Understands the basics of business systems, uses business tools and language when talking to clients, think strategically, views the organization from a systems perspective, understands external trends and organizational politics.
- Self-Awareness – Understands personal values, biases, ethics, and how to manage self with others.
- Open & Effective Communication – Actively listens, asks in-depth questions, expresses self clearly and effectively. Offers clear and concise feedback, informs others frequently, gains agreement, and facilitates effectively.
- Management / Organization Theory – Understands organization structure, model, contingency, systems, and change theories.
- Teamwork / Collaboration – Provides a process for teams to share ideas, solve problems, identify solutions, make decisions, communicate effectively, and work together cooperatively.
- Research Methods – Understands basic data gathering methodologies, including both qualitative and quantitative techniques (i.e. surveys, interviews/focus groups, the Internet, etc.).
- Organization Behavior – Understands organization culture and the effects of leadership, power and politics.
- Facilitation / Process Consultation – Effectively plans and facilitates meetings, asks questions and uses process tools such as dialogue and reflection to support members of the group and outcomes.
- Resource Management – Recognizes the importance of managing resources and time effectively.
IOD offers online Organization Development Certification Programs to help participants gain skills to advance in their career in the field of OD. If you are new to OD, you will benefit from the OD Process Consulting Certification Program (ODPC). If you have been in the field for several years but lack formal OD training, the Organization Development Certification Program (ODCP) will provide you with the tools and skills needed to advance in the field of Organization Development.
IOD’s OD Certification Programs are offered online, over 8 months, meeting 3 hours per month. Each session is delivered through Go-to-training. Our expert faculty provides interactive discussions, examples, tools, guidelines, and resources to enrich your learning experience.
This certification program provided me with the resources and tools I needed to practice OD. The structure and process helped me to be more confident and focus on helping the client achieve their goals.
The practical experience I learned during this program gave me the confidence to support organizational change management initiatives. I used the skills to transfer my knowledge immediately after each session.
Author: Dr. Nancy Zentis
Dr. Nancy Zentis is the CEO of Institute of OD, offering online certification programs for those interested in Organization Development, Talent Management, Leadership Development and Executive Coaching, and OD Advanced Skills courses for ongoing learning. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our certification programs and short courses, please visit our website www.instituteod.com.